To explore natural product chemical space, to learn of and be inspired by molecules that drive ecological advantage, to acquire knowledge that will inform the development of new molecular tools, pharmaceuticals and agrochemicals.
The Capon Group specializes in the detection, isolation, identification and evaluation of biologically active small molecules from Nature (natural products). We acquire knowledge on how and why natural products are made, and apply this to better understand living systems, and solve important scientific and societal challenges.
Our research organized around five thematic programs (see below) has lead to the discovery of several thousand natural products, many rare or new to science, and many with valuable chemical and biological properties.
- Marine Biodiscovery: Documenting, evaluating and exploiting the chemical and biological properties of natural products from Australian marine invertebrates and algae.
- Microbial Biodiscovery: Documenting, evaluating and exploiting the chemical and biological properties of natural products from Australian marine and terrestrial, bacteria and fungi.
- Chemical Ecology: Documenting, evaluating and exploiting chemical communication between members of the same or different species – extending across microbes, plants, insects and animals.
- Pharmaceutical Biodiscovery: Applying knowledge of natural products to inspire the development of new pharmaceuticals.
- Agrochemical Biodiscovery: Applying knowledge of natural products to inspire the development of agrochemicals, to enhance the health and productivity of livestock and crops.
To learn more about Capon Group research programs select from the menu opposite.